The investigation continues at the scene of a structure fire on Stephenson Road 12 West. The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to the blaze around 4:30pm.
When they arrived, crews from Port Sydney Station 3 and Huntsville Station 1 found an attached garage at the home fully involved. The fire had spread to the second floor of the home and was contained to the one bedroom upstairs. The second floor suffered heavy smoke damage with slight damage to the rest of the home.
The occupants discovered the fire from the garage and were able to safely escape.
Crews remain on scene putting out hot spots. The cause continues to be investigated and crews are looking at the possibility of improperly discarded ashes from a woodstove as the cause. No damage estimate has been set at this time.
The Fire Department would like to remind residents to properly dispose of their woodstove ashes in a metal container‎ away from any building and to make sure that the ashes are completely extinguished. (Photo courtesy of the Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department)