GRAVENHURST, ON – A kitchen fire got a big response in Gravenhurst.

A fire had broken out at a property on North Muldrew Lake Road west of downtown Gravenhurst and was called in around 8:30pm last night. It also happened to be a training night for the Gravenhurst Fire Department, so four trucks and 20 crew showed up.

Before they could get hoses unfurled, the owners of the house came out to report that the fire had been put out with a fire extinguisher.

Deputy Chief Todd Clapp said it was a good job by the occupants.

“This is why it is important to keep appliances grease-free and to have a proper, working fire extinguisher,” he said.

Part of the crew was released while others helped ventilate the structure.