Muskoka Lakes landlords fined $5,000 for not having smoke alarms
Owners of a rental property in Muskoka Lakes are being charged for not having smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. The property owners were found guilty under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, stemming back to an incident in October. The duo pleaded guilty in court, and was fined $5,000.
The Muskoka Lakes Fire Department says it’s law that all homes have to have working smoke alarms on every storey, and outside of all bedrooms. Also, all homes with a fuel burning appliance, wood burning stove, or attached garage are required to have a working carbon monoxide detector outside of all bedrooms.
Muskoka Lakes Fire Chief Richard Hayes says it’s unfortunate they’re still finding homes without these life saving devices.