YWCA Muskoka celebrates 20 years of success and efforts of local women
The 2017 YWCA Muskoka Women of Distinction Recipients. (From left) BACK: Bonnie Dart, Nicole Manion, Norma Connolly, Michelle Emson. FRONT: Dawn Novak, Brenda Wood, Candace Yule, Debby Andrews.
Photo Credit: Tomasz Szumski, BlueCamel3DPhotography
The YWCA Muskoka is looking back on 20 years of success.
On Wednesday, founders Sheryl Manolakos and Virginia Hastings spoke about the two decades of service the organization has provided to the district. Hastings says the small beginnings of the YWCA has now expanded to offer programs in 18 schools and serving over 1,000 people every year. She says the organization has also provided services to breast cancer survivors, women in crisis and young ladies looking to move onto post-secondary education.
During the evening, the organization also handed out awards for the annual Women of Distinction Gala. The awards recognize women in Muskoka that are constantly working to make a difference for their communities.
Here is a list of all the winners:
- Michelle Emson, Arts, Culture and Creative Energy Award
- Candance Yule, Young Women of Distinction Award
- Nicole Manion, Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award
- Dawn Novak, Community Development and Social Activism Award
- Norma Connolly, Health, Sports and Wellness Award
- Bonnie Dart, Mentorship Award
- Debby Andrews, Lifetime Achievement Award
- Brenda Wood, Inaugural Transformational Award