GRAVENHURST: Two fires sparked from fireplace and wood stove residue
Fire fighters in Gravenhurst are reminding residents to properly dispose of fireplace and wood stove residue after two fires happened this month. Late Saturday afternoon, firefighters were called to a North Muldrew Lake Road address after ashes that were taken outside, ignited a brush fire. Fortunately, neighbours were able to help extinguish the blaze, while the fire department was being called. Earlier this month another similar situation happened at a cottage on Kilworthy Road. Residents there vacuumed up what they thought were cool ashes from a wood stove. The ashes started a fire inside the central vacuuming system, but failed to spread any further. Robert King, Fire Prevention Officer says ashes should be disposed of in a metal container with a tight fitting lid outside and away from any combustibles.