Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsSchmale wins local student vote

Schmale wins local student vote

HALIBURTON, ON- Besides winning back his seat in the House of Commons in the most recent election, Jamie Schamle also took the most student votes.
On October 21st, the students at Haliburton Highlands Secondary School cast their votes for their preferred candidates.
According to the Haliburton Echo, Schmale who represented the Conservative Party, received 89 votes which count for just under 35 per cent.
He was followed up by NDP representative Barbara Doyle with 24 per cent of the vote, then Elizabeth Fraser of the Green Party and Liberal candidate Judi Forbes. Gene Balfour from the People’s Party of Canada came in last place in the students’ votes.
Schools across the Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock participated in their own elections and the results were similar to HHSS with Schmale receiving just less than 35 per cent of the popular vote.
It was not just the Muskoka region that held their own highschool elections, more than 1.1 million elementary and secondary school students took part in casting their votes.
22.3 per cent of the ballots went to the Liberals which would have given them 110 seats. Following the Liberals were the NDP with nearly 25 per cent of the vote which would have made up 99 seats. The Conservatives received 25 per cent and 94 seats, the Green Party followed with just over 18 per cent and 28 seats. The Bloc made up the rest of the votes with less than two per cent and nine seats.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading