You’re likely to see another bump on your tax bill this year, at least on the district portion.
The District of Muskoka has released its draft tax supported operating budget, with a proposed increase of 1.45 per cent on residential taxes. Officials suggest for a $300,000 home this would increase the district portion of the tax bill by about $12.52. Breaking down that proposed increase, $6.35 would be put towards funding for infrastructure rehabilitation and repair projects and $1.53 would go towards the annual OPP costs.
As for the draft rate supported budget, which involves costs associated with waste collection, water and sewage, there are a few changes across the district. Water rates on a $300,000 assessed property are proposed to increase by 1.4 per cent or $2.60 a month.
Solid waste is a different story as coverage costs are changing across the district. Here’s a breakdown of the annual impact on the bill for a property assessed at $300,000:
- Bracebridge, decrease of $1.80 to $199.26
- Gravenhurst, increase of $3.21 to $170.34
- Huntsville, decrease of $0.75 to $187.50
- Georgian Bay, increase of $9.48 to $174.15
- Lake of Bays, decrease of $0.45 to $80.37
- Muskoka Lakes, no change proposed, staying at $70.44
District officials explain the reason for the sudden cost spike in Georgian Bay is mostly because non-curbside services will need to be increased at a cost of $109,905.
Looking ahead to budget discussions, District of Muskoka committees will meeting to review their individual budgets the week of January 21st. Here is a breakdown of each committee meeting and time:
Wednesday, January 23rd:
- Engineering and Public Works, 9:00am
- Finance and Corporate Services, 1:00pm
Thursday, January 24th:
- Health Services Committee, 9:00am
- Community and Planning Services Committee, 1:00pm
Friday, January 25th:
- Joint Commmittee Meeting of Engineering and Public Works and Finance and Corporate Services, 9:00am
A full review of the budget by council will run on January 30th, starting at 9:00am. Council is expected to make a final decision on this budget on February 19th during it’s 3:00pm meeting.
All committee and council meetings will be held in the council chambers at the District of Muskoka office in Bracebridge and are open to the public.