A lone occupant was able to exit safely when fire broke out at a West Road home in Huntsville.
Crews from Station 1 Huntsville and Station 3 Port Sydney responded to the reported dryer fire early last night around 7pm.
When crews entered the structure, they encountered heavy smoke conditions. The fire was quickly knocked down, but not before it had spread into the roof.
Crews forced entry into the electronic business below, Near North Business Machines, located at 86 West Road, and were able to cover all the electronic equipment with tarps to minimize damage to the business.
The lone occupant of the home was alerted by the carbon monoxide alarm and discovered the fire in the gas-fired clothes dryer. He was able to safely exit the home. The emergency response shut down a portion of West Road for several hours. Crews remain on scene and will be returning in the morning to continue the investigation. (Photo courtesy of the Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department)