â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsLocal public and Catholic school boards potentially closing schools Monday

Local public and Catholic school boards potentially closing schools Monday

If the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) goes ahead with strike action on Monday, Nov. 21, all local public and Catholic schools will be closed to students.

“Trillium Lakelands District School Board (TLDSB) is not directly involved in the provincial negotiations and we are hopeful that there will be a resolution before this date,” says Wes Hahn, the board’s Director of Education.

He points out that CUPE members working for TLDSB include secretaries, clerks, technicians, custodial and maintenance staff, and educational assistants. “These members are critical in keeping our school buildings and sites safe for students, not only for the cleanliness of our buildings, but for the support students receive each day,” says Hahn. “We respect and value our CUPE staff and are hopeful an agreement is met before Monday.”

Meanwhile, the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board (SMCDSB) would also close all schools to students, returning to remote learning.

- Advertisement -

“We know that uncertainty around school closures is hard for families and staff,” says SMCDSB Director of Education Frances Bagley. “We are asking families to have plans in place in order to respond should school closures occur due to labour action. As a Catholic community, we will continue to support one another with compassion and patience through these challenging times, and we will pray that  negotiations lead to a fair settlement.”

Both boards say more information will be send out to parents within the next few days.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading