The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit has sent an advisory to the public about Lynx Lake.

Formerly known as Groom Lake near the town of Kearney, Ontario, Healthy Unit officials have received test results back that Lynx Lake has experienced a harmful blue-green algae bloom.

The toxic bloom will irritate the skin and eyes and make you sick if you drink it.

Compounding the issue is the migration of algae due to wind and currents, but the resultant toxins remain in what appear to be clear areas.

· Do not use the water. This includes drinking, cooking, bathing, and brushing teeth.
Note: Using a private water system or boiling the water will not destroy the toxins.

· Do not swim and avoid water sports where there are harmful algae.

· Limit the amount of fish flesh you eat. Some toxins can build up in fish and shellfish. Do not eat the liver, kidneys and other organs. Be careful not to cut the organs when filleting.

· If skin contact does occur, wash with soap and water or rinse