District-wide BBQs and events planned for Muskoka Pride Festival week
Photo courtesy of Muskoka Pride
Ten years ago Muskoka Pride was celebrated by a few dozen people at a park in Gravenhurst.
Today that celebration has grown to six municipalities, an annual picnic attended by hundreds and a newly created pride parade in the heart of Bracebridge. One of the organization’s founders and current promotion representative Shawn Forth says a lot has changed in just a decade, including the mindset of many Muskoka locals.
Forth says the theme this year is also a movement, aptly named ‘Bringing Pride To You’. He says it’s meant to embody Muskoka Pride’s commitment to spreading the message of LGTBQ inclusion across the entire district.
Annual tentpole events like the kickoff party in Huntsville and Pride Picnic in Bracebridge will highlight the week again this year. The Pride Picnic will be held at a new venue, running after the festival’s first Pride Parade marching down Manitoba Street in downtown Bracebridge the morning of July 29th.
Here is a list of all events running across the district starting this Friday:
Municipal office flag raisings:
- Friday, Dwight 10am, Huntsville 1pm
- Monday July 23rd, Bracebridge 11am, Gravenhurst 2pm
- Tuesday July 24th, Port Severn 10am, Wahta Mohawk Territory 1pm, Port Carling 3pm
Other major events:
- Kickoff BBQ, Friday 4pm @ River Mill Park in Huntsville
- Pride Parade, Sunday July 29th starting at 11am on Manitoba Street in Bracebridge
- Pride Picnic, Sunday July 29th 12pm @ Memorial Park in Bracebridge
Find all event details here.