Basement blaze in Gravenhurst stopped thanks to working smoke detector
A basement fire is sparking a warning for regular checks of plumbing and electrical equipment.
Gravenhurst Fire Department was called to the blaze on Southwood Road this past Saturday. The homeowner was reportedly alerted to the basement fire by her smoke alarm and crews had enough time to put it out before it spread to the rest of the home. Fire officials say the blaze caused about $5,000 in damages and was likely caused by an electrical issue.
Homeowners are being reminded to have your plumbing and electrical checked regularly to avoid a similar spark-up.