Death of a young boy in Parry Sound brings safety message to Muskoka
Photo Credit: Submitted by the Town of Gravenhurst.
The memory of a boy who died in Parry Sound is being kept alive through education.
Nolan Young was 12-years-old when he died from carbon monoxide poisoning 2013. Young was sleeping inside the family van when the propane-powered cooler leaked the deadly gas around him. His family has since created Nolan’s Story, a charity that works to offer more education on the dangers of CO leaks.
Young’s family recently partnered with Gravenhurst Home Hardware Owner Ian McNaughton to donate 100 CO detectors to the Gravenhurst Fire Department. McNaughton has already been working with Young’s family at his Parry Sound store to promote the message of CO safety in the home. He says it was important to bring this message to Muskoka as well.
Gravenhurst Fire Chief Larry Brassard says they’ll be working with local community partners to make sure these detectors get into the homes of families that need them.
You can find out more about the Nolan’s Story initiative here.