Have your chimney checked and cleaned by a certified company before lighting the fire
Photo Credit: Submitted by Gravenhurst Fire Department
Your chimney could be hiding a dangerous secret.
Fire officials in Muskoka are warning, you need to get your chimney checked out for creosote buildup before lighting up the fire this fall. Creosote is carbon residue created from the smoke of burning wood. If it builds up too much it can lead to a chimney fire.
Officials say you should leave it to the professionals when having your chimney checked and cleaned. Have a WETT certified technician come in and take care of the job.
You should also take the time to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Fire officials say if a fire has started in your chimney you need to call 9-1-1 right away.