A tenant of a local property has been fined for disabling a smoke alarm.
The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to a fire in a lower unit apartment on Saturday morning. The family living upstairs could smell smoke and entered the lower level finding the kitchen stove on fire.
The homeowner was able to extinguish the fire and get his family outside. The fire was caused by flammable materials placed on the stove causing it to ignite.
Fire crews say the tenant was fined $360 for a disabled alarm.