Keep fire safety in mind this long weekend
Victoria Day Long Weekend is traditionally the time when people come up to open their cottages here in Muskoka. The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department has released safety tips to prepare your cottage, while being safe. Fire Chief Steve Hernen says fire safety is not just for home, but for cottages, cabins and seasonal homes too.
Fire Safety Tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every storey and outside all sleeping areas of your cottage, cabin or seasonal home: it’s the law in Ontario.
- Test smoke alarms to ensure they work. Pack a new smoke alarm and extra batteries for the cottage.
- Clean heating appliances and barbecues before using them. It’s also important to keep an eye on your barbecue and ensure all combustibles, as well as children and pets, are kept well away.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm near sleeping rooms.
- Keep barbecue lighters and matches out of sight and reach of children.
- Check the daily Fire Danger Rating at 1-877-847-1577 for any restrictions on burning before starting campfires or burning brush. Remember there is NO DAYTIME BURNING.