â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsBMLSS sending five students to Special Olympics Provincial Championships

BMLSS sending five students to Special Olympics Provincial Championships

Five boys from Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School will be playing basketball as a Laker on the provincial stage.

In June, these five students will travel to Durham to compete in the 2016 Special Olympics Ontario Provincial School Championships.

Teacher Julia McCreadie has helped special needs students get involved with a regional basketball tournament for the past two years.

The team at BMLSS was able to qualify for the provincial tournament this year, which is comprised of the best teams from 52 regional competitions across Ontario.

- Advertisement -

The provincial tournament has run for the past five years under the name Four Corners, but this will be the first year a team of Lakers will attend.

McCreadie says she has a lot of hope for her team, but she’s just excited these boys will have a chance to experience playing on a provincial level for the first time.

She says it will be a team effort to make sure the boys have a safe and happy time during the three-day event.

Three other teachers, Casey Roberts, Breandan Roche and Matt Kaye, have all signed on to help chaperone the trip.

McCreadie says the parents of these boys are very excited.

McCreadie hopes with hosting these regional events, she will help bring more attention to this program with other schools in the region.

She will be applying to host the basketball regional tournament again next year and is interested in bringing floor hockey to Muskoka as well.

She says she hopes to see another school take that one on for hosting duties.

The provincial competition runs from June 1st to the 3rd at Durham College.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading