Fire in Gravenhurst causes $50,000 in damages to home
Call 911 before you try to extinguish a fire yourself! On Thursday, Gravenhurst fire fighters responded to a garage fire at 1014 Baseline Road, just North of Southwood Road. When crews arrived, the two-bay detached garage was fully engulfed in flames. Fire Chief, Larry Brassard says a grass fire started by the garage and quickly spread. The fire was brought under control within 35 minutes. No injuries were reported and damage is estimated at $50,000. Brassard says the fire appears to be accidentally caused by a wood stove. He also adds that there was a delay in notifying the fire department as the people home tried to extinguish the fire before calling.