Bala celebrates 100 years
Bala is celebrating a milestone! Local businesses and residents are invited to take part in a year-long celebration for Bala’s 100th birthday. Events that are planned include the 12th Annual Spring Art Tour, summer and fall antique shows, watersports and more. It was in 1868 that Bala was first settled by Thomas Burgess, while in 1914 the Town was first incorporated. There are one-hundred days and one-hundred ways to celebrate.
Below are some of the events created so far:
- Johnston’s Cranberry Marsh and Muskoka Lakes Winery have hosted several events over the winter and spring as well. They continue to hold daily tours and wine tastings.
- Bala Bay Inn is opening for their regular season and besides playing host to several weddings, they offer weekly ghost tours in the summer as well as live entertainment.
- The Kee to Bala will once again be bring world class entertainment and concerts to Bala starting in May. The Kee also hosts weekly resort nights. New this year is The Kee 5k, a running and walking event on July 5 followed by a live concert.
- The Actor’s Colony Theatre will be marking the 80 anniversary of professional summer theatre in Canada with events starting in June and theatre performances throughout July and August. They have paired together with the Moon River Lookout and Bala Bay Inn for dinner and theatre packages.
- The 12 Annual Spring Art Tour will be celebrated June 7 and 8 with the Bala Bay Inn playing th host to 4 of the tours many artists. The Muskoka Autumn Studio Tour has a stop a Christine Marshall’s Gallery September 27 & 28 and October 4 & 5.
- The Bala Arena will play host to Summer and Fall Antique Shows while the Chamber of Commerce hosts simultaneous Craft Shows at the Bala Community Centre. The Arena will also have summer programs until hockey and ringette resume in the fall for another exciting season.
- Bala Museum with Memories of Lucy Maud Montgomery will be welcoming guests as well as participating in the Opens Doors Event.
- The Bala Curling Club, fresh off of celebrating their own 100 Anniversary celebrations will host a golf tournament in September and curling will resume in early November.
- The Bala Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion will play host to their 9 annual Cruiz-In for Vetrans Car Show on June 29 . They will be hosting many other events including once a month Friday dinners and Sunday breakfasts.
- The Moon River Property Owners Association plays host to Bala’s biggest Canada Celebration at Margaret Burgess Park. With cake, entertainment and fireworks.
- Everyone is encourage to participate in Ontario’s Family Fishing Week from July 5-13 and there’s no better place to get equipped with bait, tackle or a boat than at Purk’s Place.
- Watersports dot the calendar during the summer in Bala. Enjoy the weekly summer waterski shows at Windsor Park or events hosted by Bush’s Sports Centre.
- Bala’s famous Cranberry Festival will celebrate it’s 30 year October 17-19 with events in Bala, at Johnston’s Cranberry Marsh and Iroquois Cranberry Growers.
- Bala’s Santa Claus Parade occurs early each November. Bala’s Trek to Bethlehem will be held on Saturday December 6 . And there’s always a rocking good New Year’s event to finish out the year.
- New events are in the works and announcements will be made by the organizers as they are confirmed and may include a Beer Festival, a Reggae Celebration, Wakeboarding and a Zombie Walk.