Local police asking you to be safe when snowmobiling
As we get closer to snowmobile season, the OPP wants to offer you tips to make sure snowmobiling is safe for you and your family. Last year, the OPP investigated 36 snowmobile collisions, six of which were fatal. Central Regional Media Relations Coordinator Sergeant Kelly Daniels says speed is a factor in half of these cases and almost 20 per cent involved alcohol. This year , the OPP will be patrolling the trails to make sure snowmobilers are following the rules.
Tips to follow:
- Reduce your speed for the conditions you encounter, always observe speed limits established on roadways and trails as they are established for your safety and the safety of other riders.
- Never mix alcohol or drugs with operating a MSV.
- Always tell someone what your travel/trail plans are and carry a cell phone for emergencies.
- Remember that you must have the permission of the property owner to take your snowmobile on their property unless you are on a designated trail. If you do not have permission, you run the risk of trespassing on private property. The fine for trespassing on conviction can be up to $2000.
- Remember “no ice is safe ice”.