Gas leak scare forced brief evacuation at Monsignor Michael O’Leary
Students, teachers, and staff at Monsignor Michael O’Leary were evacuated yesterday after a gas leak scare. Bracebridge Deputy Fire Chief, Jared Cayley says he can confirm 100 per cent that there was no gas leak.
Mercaptan, also known as methanethiol, is a harmless but smelly gas additive which has been described as smelling like rotten eggs. It is often added to odourless natural gas to make it easier to detect.
Cayley says fire crews were called to MMO at around 2pm yesterday, but left about 15 minutes later after giving the all-clear. Cayley says Union Gas was on scene working when the smell was first detected.