With the Province saying it’s mandatory to have carbon monoxide detectors in your home, the Bracebridge Fire department is ramping up the message to spread awareness.

The odourless, tasteless gas is hard to detect without a detector. Having one is now in Ontario’s Fire Prevention Act as a mandate, but it hasn’t been put into the Ontario Fire Code yet, which will determine how the law will be enforced, how many detectors will be needed in a home and where they’ll have to be placed. These details should come in Spring 2014. More from Bracebridge Fire Chief Murray Medley.

{audio}http://www.moosefm.com/cfbk/images/mp3/murrayco.mp3{/audio}

Bracebridge has not had any carbon monoxide related tragedies in recent memory. Medley says the department has gone to calls that have had detectable levels of it in the house. Medley says the smart people already have detectors and the push is on to urge others to get one.