A fire that broke out at a mobile home park in Gravenhurst off Highway 11 Friday is being blamed on a torch that was used to thaw some frozen pipes. It happened just after 6pm. The blaze didnt get far and didnt damage the interior of the home. Some insulation was set on fire, but Gravenhurst Fire Prevention Officer Rob King says it could have been worse.
Here are some tips on how to safely thaw frozen pipes:
– Keep a faucet open and as you treat the frozen pipe, water will begin to flow through the frozen area. Running water through the pipe will help melt ice in the pipe.
-Apply heat to the frozen section of the pipe by using an electric heating pad wrapped around the pipe, an electric hair dryer, a portable space heater or by wrapping pipes with towels soaked in hot water.
– Never use a blow torch, kerosene or propane heater, charcoal stove or other open flame devices.
– Apply heat until water pressure is restored. If you cant find the frozen section, call a plumber.
In this case, the homeowner had an evacuation plan in place and called 911, gathering the family at their meeting place to await the fire department’s arrival.